Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hot, Lazy Weekend in Buenos Aires

One of the best reasons for visiting Argentina in August is to escape the Texas heat, but the weather in Buenos Aires has been remarkably warm, even hot, 30°C and more (upper 80s). A cold front is expected tonight, so we're hoping for a high tomorrow around 15° (60°F).

Mostly because of the heat, we're having a lazy weekend of it. We walked home from class in Palermo on Friday, window shopping down Av. Santa Fe along the way. We're looking for a particular household item; more on that when we find it.

Yesterday we walked to the downtown business district, where we rented an apartment two years ago, and had lunch at El Establo, a well-known restaurant at the corner of Paraguay and San Martín. Terri had a grilled sausage and creamed spinach, and I had a matambrito (flank steak) sandwich with a side order of batatas fritas (fried sweet potatoes). Diet Pepsi for her, a half bottle of the house vino tinto for me, and with a generous tip we were out the door for about A$110, less than $30 US.

We spent most of the afternoon sitting on a bench in Plaza Vicente López, a gorgeous little park about two blocks from our apartment. Since everyone here lives in apartments, the parks are full of families getting out in the fresh air.

Today, we walked around Recoleta Cemetery, the arts and crafts fair in the adjacent park, and then back to Plaza Vicente Lopez. How I love to sit in the park and watch the world walk by.

At the park

Tonight, we'll do our homework for tomorrow's Spanish class. While we're doing that, you can go to Flickr, where I've posted videographic evidence that Argentina is light years ahead of the U.S. in returnable bottle technology.

WHOOSH!

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I just stumbled upon your flickr page while I was seeing pictures taken in buenos aires. I live in Almagro, you know where that is?
    Anyway, I read your entry on the monedas and damn it's difficult sometimes to get some! what I usually do is take the subway and pay my ticket with 2 pesos and 10 cents so I get a peso that way I always have my stock just fine.



    How do you like BA? This time of the year is what we call "Santa Rosa" because after this couple of hot days pass a big storm comes.



    And one more thing (if I may) there's a place called 'La Casa del Queso' in Corrientes avenue, between Billinghurst and Gallo; really nice fondeus and fiambres (I don't know the word in english) you guys should try them.



    Well hope you like the City and keep coming back

    see ya

    PS: Taking spanish lessons (well more like Castellano lessons I guess, no?) that's sweet. Is it hard for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Mauro!

    I know where Almagro is, but we haven't been to that part of town yet, so many places to see. And thanks for the recommendation, so much food to eat!

    Our Castellano lessons are hard but fun. We can speak and be understood, but need a lot of practice.

    Buenos Aires is one of our favorite places, so I'm sure we'll keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, just noticed your cheap MST3K reference. Thought you could slip that by, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering which sharp-eyed reader would notice that -- ta da! you're the winner!

    ReplyDelete