Sunday, November 8, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Our flight to Chicago was on a 777, an unusually large plane for this route because AA needed to move it to O'Hare. Because the plane was so big, we got to sit in the business class section even though we had economy/coach tickets.

The business class seats have all sorts of controls, up and down and back and forth for the back, seat, and leg sections. Think of the possibilities! Right after take-off I started playing with different settings and was able to entertain myself for most of the two hour flight. I tried the barcalounger, the sleeper, the sitting-upright-at-a-desk, the relaxed-but-alert, and everything in between. Terri told me that although I looked like a 60 year old man, I was acting like our 11 year old nephew, Alec, and she did not appreciate it when I reached over and started playing with the controls of her seat, too.

Once we got to our hotel and checked in, we walked around downtown. At Michigan and Randolph we ran across street performers, five young guys drumming. (I posted a short video sample on Flickr if you'd like to watch them.) Each had a pair of drumsticks, a large plastic bucket, and a plastic milk crate to sit on. They drummed and drummed and drummed some more, first one, then two, then all five together, then a solo, then three, back and forth and in unison. I mean these guys were good and the ever increasing crowd loved them.

After enjoying the music, I walked away marveling at what can result from a little ingenuity and a lot of talent and practice, and how so many of life's pleasures result from these little serendipitous moments.

We ended the evening by getting a pizza and several beers at Pizzeria Due, which along with Pizzeria Uno is the home of Chicago-style deep dish pizza. It was good but over-rated. (The best deep dish pizza I've ever had was at the old Conan's on Guadalupe in Austin, about 25 years ago.) Afterwards we felt like exploding as we waddled back across the river to our hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment